Sunday, January 13, 2008

FIREFLY SERENITY

I am officially hooked to the sci-fi series, Firefly. It’s got everything appealing; energetic cast, suspense and drama within the adventures, great storyline (!), some humor, great effects, and most of all, the ability to keep me glued to the TV.

Firefly was created in 2002 but was doomed to last only one season. Which is a real pity because it had won an Emmy and numerous SyFy awards. Until today, fans around the world are hopping for Firefly to be resurrected. I would too.

Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly, when faced with the reality that FOX Network would not continue his ingenuity, decided to give the fans one last shot. He wrote and directed, together with Tim Minear, the movie entitled Serenity. That was actually the ship’s name. It summarized the story and gave the closure that Firefly deserved. But even Serenity could not lay the ship and crew to rest.

By the way, Joss Whedon was the same person who created Buffy:The Vampire Slayer and Angel. I used to be addict to these two shows. Boy, that was a lonnnnggg time ago.

Having watched Serenity when it was released in 2005 (which, in my opinion, was breath-taking), I find that watching the series is much more enjoyable. Each episode has more to tell and to inspire without being subjected to time constraint.
Despite being creator, writer and director of Firefly, Joss Whedon also wrote the theme song for the opening credits. It aired under 52-seconds in length.

As I searched for Firefly in YouTube, imagine my surprise when I found something precious! A fan, by the name of Michelle Dockrey, had taken the ordinary short theme and wrote an ENTIRE song. She christened it as Mal’s Song, after the Captain of Serenity, Malcolm Reynolds and sang it while playing her guitar. Now that’s pure genius! And she’s got such a lovely voice. I think I like her theme way better than the original! Listen to it!

No comments: