Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A TRIP DOWN SOUTH

Before the year 2007 ended, I thought it was time again to visit Aunt Rosita and cousin Keith in Singapore... and do some SHOPPING!!! So, I packed my bag, got my passport ready, and ensured I had enough cash. Most importantly, I made sure my two goods friends were with me, namely : Visa and MasterCard... accepted anywhere!
Nice Singapore Airlines plane, huh? Yeah, that was my ride... not! Hheheeh, I so wished that I could fly into Changi Airport, for once. Now, that would have been "travel-with-style"! And a great way to end the old year.
And, no. I did not take a ferry into Singapore, nor into Sentosa Island. If I did, I only fear the authorities would think, "Alamak, orang Indonesia! Mana pasport?!"

Just kidding ;P
I decided the best, practical, and cheaper way (other than bus) was the train. And to save travel time, I took the Night Train which departed from Seremban at 11.30pm. It was alright. My sleeping berth was, unfortunately, right next to the coach door. But the bed was comfortable! And clean too. Enough room for a person to sit, sleep and relax.
It was past midnight, and everyone else was fast asleep. These were the passangers who boarded the train from KL Sentral. Check out the curtains on every sleeping berths. Curtains fully drawn shut!
By morning, we had passed Tampin, Gemas, Kluang, Segamat, and all those other main stations which names I can't remember.

Someone permanently parked this old Steam Engine at Kluang. I only wished that Malaysia had a Train Museum. That's where this ol' timer should be placed. Not out in the open to rust and deteorate!
At last, in JB station, the Malaysian Customs officers boarded the train coaches for proper documentations check. That way, the passangers did not have to disembark.
At Singapore station, I arrived an hour later than scheduled. Thank you, KTM. The Railway Service provider really needs to improve on their service! No matter how many times we depart on time, the train (almost) always arrive late at the final destinantion.
The thing that always fascinate me, is the fact that the Railway Lines in Singapore is owned by Keretapi Tanah Melayu (KTM), Malaysia. So, on whatever piece of tiny land where the rail tracks lie on... that's owned by KTM... or rather, by Malaysia. And that, more or less, explains why the tracks are poorly maintained. Even the insides of the Singapore Train Station looks dim, cold and unfriendly. But the moment you stand outside on Singapore soil, everthing changes! It's better, brighter and cleaner world.
I've always admired the four marble statues that looks upon visitors and citizens. It is a reminder of a time when Malaya and Singapore was united as one. The initials "FMSR" stands for the Federation of Malaya-Singapore Railway. The four massive marble columns portray the essence that brought the two countries into greatness : labour, commerce, industry and agriculture.