Thursday, April 01, 2010

Day Five (am) : At The Musee de Louvre

Where am I heading to...?
Why, to The Louvre, off course!
[Pronounced Lu-ufh]

The Louvre was, once upon a time, a palace used by the Kings & Queens of France, up to the time of King Louie XIV and Marie Antoinette.
It is now a VERY famous museum, housing priceless artifacts and art pieces.
Photographs are allowed to be taken inside. Yayy!
Three main rules : no flash photography, no touching the naked models and no yelling.
I meant, no touching the exhibits on display.
My grand welcome ...

Welcome to high luxury living.
Among their permanent collections are some medieval sculptures...
knight armours
church stained-glass windows (I love these things!)
sarcophagus lids
... and tombstone markers.
No kidding!

The main attraction is actually the hundreds of paintings, collected over the centuries. Not just from France but the entire Renaissance and Enlightenment periods as well. Rembrandt, Da Vinci, Vermeer, Van Goh... yup, all here!
Medium-sized frames...HUGE paintings...to tiny tinee ones... like that Mona Lisa.
It was the centre of everyone's attention. But with the crowd there, who can stay long enough to admire her mysterious smile?
My favourite sculpture was the one called 'Eros and Pysce'
I've always loved the romantic romantic emotions in this art... so imagine my delight when I got to see the real thing!

On paintings, I found one which really caught my attention.
It's a lady who dies, and yet her lover continues to weep at her feet.
Can someone weep like that for me when I die?
The Louvre building itself has fantastic architecture style. Just look at the different variation of ceilings.
I spent almost the entire day there... from Opening time (9.00am) to Closing time (4.30pm)
Here's a last short of the inverted glass pyramid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.